Helpful links for patients and carers with Learning Disabilities
General Advice and Help
Citizens Advice offer a range of support and information including:
Mind offers support to people with Learning Disabilities
- What is a learning disability?
- Is a learning disability a mental health problem?
- Learning disability and other conditions
- Useful contacts for learning disability support
Utility and Energy
Learning Disability England have a bank of resources, including:
- Cost of Living Resources: things like staying warm, saving money, grants and money help.
- Tips and ideas about gas and electric bills.
Citizens Advice also offer hints and tips on how to switch energy suppliers.
Benefits and Financial Help
The government provides advice and guidance on benefits and financial support for people with a disability and or health condition:
- Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- Attendance Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children
- Help if you’re a student with a learning difficulty, health problem or disability: Disabled Students’ Allowance DSA
Support for Carers
Newcastle Carers offer a safe space for carers to talk, be heard and supported.
Community Dental Service
The community dental service in Newcastle provides a full range of dental treatments for patients referred by other healthcare providers, who are residents of Newcastle and who fit one or more of the following criteria:
- Under eighteen
- Asylum seeker
- Have mental health problems
- Have learning difficulties
- Are medically compromised
- Have a phobia towards visiting the dentist